I won't worry my life away

Monday, July 09, 2007

I am blessed and thankful


On July 2nd the world lost one of its bright lights. Dave Collyer was a sweet little blond haired boy I met freshman year of high school. He tried to win my heart and although he failed, he always held a special place in my memories of high school. He was in a motorcycle accident last Sunday that rendered him brain dead. After a day of waiting his family chose to donate his organs and he now lives on in EIGHT people. How cool is that!?!?! Their is happiness in the tragic.

Today was his funeral and I learned a lot from sitting in a full church of people whose lives were touched by such a young man full of zest for life. I became extremely thankful for my little brother. I would have no idea what I would do if I lost him. Dave had a younger sister and brother who can lean on each other during this time and they looked up to their big brother so much and can know he is now watching over them from up above. All I wanted to do was give Ramey a hug, I have never really wanted more siblings, but today, I realized that if they could be like Ramey and share the bond that he and I have, that would be pretty cool.

It also was hard to think that today in a way was my high school 5 year reunion. I saw friends that I had not seen and I can go into this school year 10x more excited than the last because I am SO grateful for my roots and for the bond that De la Salle and Carondelet create and the sense of family. There must have been 30 or so grads that were Dave's friends that went out and bought the same red dress shirts and ties. Their uniformity and dedication was inspiring and touching. Dave wanted to be married to his girlfriend/finnce (he never got the chance to propose but had told many that he was) in a white suit with a red vest, so that is what he was buried in and we all released a red or white balloon in his memory. It was a moving moment.

To my amazing friends in prayer - please continue to pray for Dave's family the Collyers - Patti, Dick, Shannon and Danny and his girlfriend Jeanine. Pray for the 8 people in which his organs will live on and pray for people whom like Dave make me thankful for HIM and for Dave teaching me that people can change and to 'try your best and God will do the rest.'


*The photo is taken from a friends myspace. Dave is on the right, It was taken the first night I remember meeting him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home