My brother died today

Today was the every 15 minutes demonstration at the high school I work at and that my brother goes to (http://www.every15minutes.com/). And my brother 'died'. His obituary is hanging the in the inner court of campus and his gravestone rest in the amp. A police officer and Chaplin came to my house to hand my parents a death certificate.
A re-enactment of a crash happens in the school parking lot. It was an incredibly moving experience to watch the police, medics and firefighters pry off a roof of a car to get to the students trapped inside. To watch as a 'drunk' student was taken away to jail for driving under the influence and causing an accident that killed two and paralyzed another. I am so grateful for programs like this in schools to show kids that things can happen QUICK and life is so incredibly fragile. They had the parents come to see their daughter that died on scene and watching them pray with a priest over the body is something that will live with me forever. Slow down life is precious.
I entered my next period after the demonstration and was confronted by a student who did not understand why people were crying and emotional over something that was fake. I had to stop, gain composure, and reply that it was for the families that truly experience the loss of their son/daughter/sister/brother/mother/father/friend/etc. every 15 minutes that affected me. She still did not get it. And that is why I keep teaching. I did not loose my brother today but I could have. And I am so thankful that he knows how much I love him and how INCREDIBLY proud I am of him. (On a side note, he finds out Thursday if he gets into Davis and it would be amazing if he did. Please pray for a good, thick letter).

1 Comments:
Another Dallimonti at Davis...crazy times! The title of your post scared me for a second, I must admit...
By
Kelli, At
4:31 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home